POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles : Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:26 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity flouroescent lighting troubles
From: Rohan Bernett
Date: 19 Nov 2002 18:50:14
Message: <web.3ddaccae46e653f8b2769afa0@news.povray.org>
I hope someone can help me with a problem I'm having with illuminating my
scene with flourescent lights using radiosity.

I'm re-creating my living room in pov-ray, and the problem I'm having is
with the radiosity illumination of the flourescent lights. The lights are
basically made using 160*2.5 cm cylinders with white pigment and high
ambient. A cross-section of the location of the lights in the scene is in a
kind of like this:

  ___
 /

| * |
|___|
|   |

I can't seem to get them to illuminate the scene enough. The real-world
lights produce sufficent lighting, but the virtual ones don't. I've cranked
the ambient value of the lights up to pow(10,30), and still the
illumination is too dark. I tried using light sources in a line instead of
high ambient, but the results didn't look very realistic. I have been
trying for 3 days to try and solve this without any luck. Here is the
radiosity block from my scene:

  radiosity {
    pretrace_start 0.08
    pretrace_end   0.4
    count 1600

    nearest_count 8
    error_bound 1.0
    recursion_limit 2

    low_error_factor 0.5
    gray_threshold 0.0
    minimum_reuse 0.015
    brightness 1

    //max_sample -1000
    adc_bailout 0.01/pow(10,30)
    //always_sample off
    //normal on
    //media on
    }

I sure would like some help with this problem. I would post comparison
images in the binary group, if I had a digital camera and the web interface
allowed attatchments.

Rohan _e_ii